OpenXML and accountability

Kaloian Doganov kaloian at doganov.org
Wed Mar 14 18:39:03 UTC 2007

"Georg C. F. Greve" <greve at fsfeurope.org> writes:

    As a matter of fact, *no* Fellow actually got in touch with us
    prior to this public debate, and the most verbal people in this
    debate are not Fellows, and have not participated in FSFE's work
    of the past years in any other way, either.

    So yes, for Fellows a good way would have been to get in touch and
    raise this as something they see a problem with.

Are you saying that we should fund an organization that distributes
proprietary software in order to be able to protest against this
activity?  Adherents of the Free Software Movement are against
proprietary software distribution no matter who does it — Microsoft,
Nokia, Debian Project or FSF Europe.  Proprietary software distributed
by FSF Europe is not friendlier other proprietary software.  It is
even more harmful, because it is done in the name of our freedom by
the people who should lead us, not betray us.

I don't understand why you want to ship those devices at all costs.
Please, drop the raffle while you still can.

    And if they were overly unhappy with the reaction to their getting
    in touch that it undoes all the things they agree with, they could
    have decided to not renew their Fellowship.

Of course, the unhappy Fellows will leave the Fellowship (after their
membership expires).  And others (like me) may decide not to become
Fellows at all.  That's a perfect way to filter out the determined
members of the Free Software Movement: they won't fund and entity that
distributes proprietary software.

So if you're going to listen only to the Fellows, then you're
listening only to those who support your actions anyway.  No doubt
that you'll hear only fine melodies and you can use them as an
argument that you're doing well.  You'll be deaf for the riots on the
street.

This is very sad.

--
Protect your digital freedom and privacy, eliminate DRM, learn more at