3rd Fellowship Raffle to attract more Fellows

Georg C. F. Greve greve at fsfeurope.org
Wed Mar 14 16:19:25 UTC 2007

 || On Wed, 14 Mar 2007 15:37:55 +0100 (CET)
 || "Alfred M. Szmidt" <ams at gnu.org> wrote:

 ams> The probobaility that someone knoweldgeble enough to write this
 ams> missing pieces will win the raffle is about as probable as me
 ams> getting hit by a meteorite.

As was explained multiple times in this thread: These devices are only
given to people who have registered themselves as developers who are
capable and willing to work on the devices.

Maybe random distribution is not the best way to decide between them,
but the chances that some good will come from their work seem much
higher than you describe.

 ams> I might understand this whole thing _if_ the FSFE was activley
 ams> looking for one or two people too actually work on this,

You mean in the sense of putting out a call for qualified developers?

This would be an alternative, and maybe even a better one.

 ams> The FSFE is still distributing them to people!  How is this not
 ams> recommending them?  It doesn't matter how clearly, and
 ams> expressdely you state that it is not `good enough'.

The critical point here is that FSFE is willing to pass a very limited
amount of these devices along to Free Software developers for the
singular purpose of making them run with Free Software.

There is no general distribution of these devices, the devices are not
being distributed to just anyone, and they are explicitly *not*
recommended for general use.

 ams> No, since the FSFE is not attempting to making these devices
 ams> work with free software.

That is your interpretation of the situation which is either
questioning the intent, or the way it is done.

If you are questioning the intent, there is very little to be gained
by continuing the conversation. If six years of hard work for Free
Software by overall hundreds of people have not convinced you that
FSFE works for goals that you share, then I certainly won't be able to
do so in this discussion.

If you are questioning the action, then I think there is merit in
evaluating how to better reach our common goal.

Regards,
Georg

--
Georg C. F. Greve                                 <greve at fsfeurope.org>