3rd Fellowship Raffle to attract more Fellows

Georg C. F. Greve greve at fsfeurope.org
Wed Mar 14 14:05:44 UTC 2007

 || On Wed, 14 Mar 2007 13:05:23 +0000
 || Alex Hudson <home at alexhudson.com> wrote:

 ah> The new text on the page is an improvement, but it's still a bit
 ah> odd to raffle work to people :)

That may be true.

But people in the Free Software community oddly seem to enjoy working
to promote freedom, and like to play with the technology. ;)

Freedom is not a burden that needs to be borne like a cross.

 ah> Perhaps in the future the FSFE should consult with people about
 ah> hardware; even the fully free router has free software issues:
 ah> [...]  ... and I understand it doesn't work with OpenWRT.

Last time I looked, OpenWRTs web page claims it was supported in the
most recent branch, and that work was in progress and at least this
router does not have the accursed Broadcom chipset.

Fortunately routers are already a little more advanced than PDAs and
mobile phones in terms of becoming fully free.

And yes: We should (and do) talk to people who are working in these
areas, and are always open to feedback, even when the feedback is that
people disagree with something.

We generally would however prefer to get that feedback in a non-public
form first, because public discussions draw additional resources from
ongoing work. I am for instance quite worried about the fact that ISO
put OpenXML back on the fast track [1] and would prefer to spend more
time on this issue and others.

Regards,
Georg

[1] http://www.fsfe.org/fellows/greve/freedom_bits/openxml_back_on_fast_track