3rd Fellowship Raffle to attract more Fellows

Alex Hudson home at alexhudson.com
Wed Mar 14 13:05:23 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-03-14 at 13:49 +0100, Alfred M. Szmidt wrote:
>     ams> That is exactly what people are being told right now with the
>     ams> FSFE distributing this device to fellows.
>
>    It has been implied that we were telling this to people, although
>    we explicitly pointed out that we are not recommending these
>    devices and pass them on only for the purpose of finding people to
>    free them.
>
> But giving them away you are indeed recommending them, a message
> stating that you are not does not change the fact.

Well, not just that, but in the case of the N800, they're asking people
to buy them, albeit at a subsidised rate.

The new text on the page is an improvement, but it's still a bit odd to
raffle work to people :)

Perhaps in the future the FSFE should consult with people about
hardware; even the fully free router has free software issues:

http://jjinux.blogspot.com/2006/12/linux-netgear-open-source-wireless-g.html

... and I understand it doesn't work with OpenWRT. It's not a freeness
issue, but it's a pain, and there are better options out there.

Cheers,

Alex.