3rd Fellowship Raffle to attract more Fellows

Alfred M. Szmidt ams at gnu.org
Wed Mar 14 00:21:12 UTC 2007

   What I want to say is that we have a far way to go yet to further
   the cause of Free Software in hardware and embedded systems, so we
   have to start somewhere. Educating/counseling/encouraging
   manufacturers ready to make the transition and making gadgets
   available to developers are, to my mind, good ways to start.

It is a terrible way to start, one does not distrubute and promote
non-free software in the hope that someone might write a free
replacement.  This is no different that say Ubuntu packaging Nvidious
binary blobs, in the hope that someday there will be a free driver.

  All this raffle kerfuffle! I mean, will anyone confuse a raffle with
  formal certification of a device?

Clearly people have done so, me included.