3rd Fellowship Raffle to attract more Fellows

MJ Ray mjr at phonecoop.coop
Tue Mar 13 23:44:53 UTC 2007

"Alfred M. Szmidt" <ams at gnu.org> wrote:
>    I also expect that FSF has often distribued machines to developers
>    that currently require non-free software, in the hope that it helps
>    to develop free software for them.  [...]
>
> You expect, and guess, and assume quite alot about the GNU Project and
> the FSF.

I'm sure I've read it somewhere, but I can't find it on the new web
sites.  The section "Donated computers" on
http://www.gnu.org/gnu/the-gnu-project.html suggests that it happened
even in that flagship FSF project at first.  Why not in others?

I agree with the comment that it's evil even when justified, FWIW.

>    Conversely, maybe it's time for those who want to work on replacing
>    non-free software to join the debian project, who don't
>    *distribute* non-free software but merely host it and are actively
>    working to free or replace it.
>
> Debian clearly is not working to replace any of its non-free parts
> that are part of Debian.

The donors of scores of man-hours spent on it each week salute you(!)

> Debian still has a non-free Java system despite there being free ones.

Which of the java systems in debian (classpath, ecj, gcj, gij, jamvm,
kaffe, sablevm, maybe more) is non-free?

[...]
> If you want to support free software, support Gnewsense, or UTUTO-e.

gNewSense is a good choice too.

Regards,
Webmaster/web developer, statistician, sysadmin, online shop maker,
developer of koha, debian, gobo, gnustep, various mail and web s/w.
Workers co-op @ Weston-super-Mare, Somerset http://www.ttllp.co.uk/