3rd Fellowship Raffle to attract more Fellows

Reinhard Mueller mueller at fsfeurope.org
Mon Mar 12 20:52:43 UTC 2007

Am Montag, den 12.03.2007, 19:28 +0100 schrieb Alfred M. Szmidt:
> how does the FSFE know that a developer will get the device,
> let alone be capable of writting the needed parts?

By asking developers that think that they are capable of writing the
needed parts to register themselves. The Discount codes will be raffled
among these registered developers.

Actually I would have considered the text on the web page clear enough:

"But the Nokia N800 doesn't come with full Free Software: some
applications are still non-free. FSFE wants to give to Fellows the
opportunity to help the N800 become a full Free Software device. So if
you are interested to develop Free Software for the N800 then please
sign up here to be the lucky winner."

But as there is obviously still enough room for misunderstandings, I am
thankful that this was brought up here, so we can clear this up. We
certainly did never intend to advertise the Nokia N800 as a Free
Software device.

> How about instead of having a raffle, hire a programmer to actually
> replace all the non-free bits instead of distributing non-free
> software to Fellows? Seems like that would be a better way to spend
> money.

We did not spend money on that raffle, all the prizes were donated by
the companies named on the web page.

Of course some might consider it a waste of time to develop Free
Software for devices that currently require proprietary software, but
some might not.

The registrations so far have shown that there are indeed people that
would *want* to write Free Software for that device, and I really think
we should support people in writing Free Software, especially if we just
have to pass on support that we get to those interested.

Thanks,
Reinhard