3rd Fellowship Raffle to attract more Fellows

Alfred M. Szmidt ams at gnu.org
Mon Mar 12 18:28:30 UTC 2007

   > Well, like the webpages says: "FSFE wants to give to Fellows the
   > opportunity to help the N800 become a full Free Software device."

   Except the link doesn't work, and I'm still not sure this is good
   enough. If I win, you're going to ship me some proprietary
   software.

Not to mention that it is recommending this device to others as a
supposedly free alternative; which it isn't.  The sentence alone is
suspect, how does the FSFE know that a developer will get the device,
let alone be capable of writting the needed parts?  This kind of
hacking isn't exactly the easiest; if it was then we wouldn't have
devices with non-free software on them.

How about instead of having a raffle, hire a programmer to actually
replace all the non-free bits instead of distributing non-free
software to Fellows? Seems like that would be a better way to spend
money.

   I don't think this is appropriate, or wise. Further, it makes me
   want to not support FSF Europe.

I have to agree.