glibc and the Linux libc fork

Alfred M. Szmidt ams at gnu.org
Tue Jun 19 14:44:43 UTC 2007

   Having read about the libc5 fork of glibc in Rick Moen's "Fear of
   Forking" essay, I went looking for more info about this fork since
   it seems to have healed so well that no one ever talks about it
   anymore.  It also seems strangely underdocumented for a 10 year old
   event in a community that values putting everything about
   everything online.

   http://fsfe.org/en/fellows/ciaran/ciaran_s_free_software_notes/history_of_glibc_and_linux_libc

   If anyone knows any other sources of info that I didn't reference,
   I'd be happy to hear about them.

You could ask the horse directly instead of relying on third-hand
information.  Roland McGrath (person who wrote glibc 1.x and 2.x) and
H.J. Lu who maintained Linux libc4 and libc5.