FreeAlternatives: project proposal

Andreas K. Foerster list at AKFoerster.de
Thu Jan 4 16:12:13 UTC 2007

Am Donnerstag, dem 04. Jan 2007 schrieb Torsten Werner:

> >In short: catalogues of non-free software are considered harmful.
>
> At least it is often harmful to me not having such a catalog. We have
> over 10000 users and they ask me often for proprietary software
> products and sometimes I do not have enough information to suggest an
> open source alternative. I am aware of 2 sites that can help:
> Wikipedia and www.osalt.com which is not community driven. Swik.net is
> helpful too but it does not refer to proprietary software or file
> formats.

How about Tuxfutter? (German site)
http://www.tuxfutter.de/wiki/Hauptseite

It's a software catalogue for migrating from Windows to [GNU/]Linux.
Unfortunately they are not so concerned about the freeness of the
software.

There is also an English section
http://www.tuxfutter.de/en/wiki/Main_Page

...but most of the content is in the German section, sorry.

--
AKFoerster