GNU FDL changes

MJ Ray mjr at phonecoop.coop
Sat Dec 8 00:07:15 UTC 2007

Alex Hudson <home at alexhudson.com> wrote: [...]
> "Shackles" is possibly the wrong word, but certainly Wikipedia had
> problems with the GFDL from the beginning, viz.:
> 	http://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/wikipedia-l/2002-June/002336.html

Never mind!  Around the time of that message, Wikipedia relicensed
everything without the consent of some contributors anyway, so they
could just do that again, except now they're so well-known that the
backlash would probably kill them.  See:-
http://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/wikipedia-l/2002-June/002335.html

> I'm personally not against the GFDL, but I think its use at Wikipedia
> was misguided at best. It doesn't do that great outside the narrow
> "manual" focus.

It doesn't do that great for manuals either.  The ability to limit
reuse of a manual by another project (through inclusion of an
Invariant Section on a Primary topic of that project) is just too
obnoxious.

Regards,