Free as in ...

MJ Ray mjr at phonecoop.coop
Fri Dec 7 23:55:33 UTC 2007

Shane Martin Coughlan <coughlan at fsfeurope.org> wrote:
> I suggest the Oxford.  The compact has a simple on-line definition:

The OED is frequently too prescriptive and conservative IMO,
documeting a form of English not even spoken by people like me who are
from fairly near Oxford.  Do not believe much of what you read in it
as uncontroversial - except that if something is labelled "archaic"
even in the OED, then it probably is.  The old Collins Concise was a
far better dictionary but it's gone downhill lately.

Are we utterly OT yet?

Regards,