FSFE ignoring OOXML?

MJ Ray mjr at phonecoop.coop
Tue Apr 24 08:22:59 UTC 2007

There's just been a call for help on a debian mailing list.
In amongst it, it includes the phrase "I did not get a response
from the Free Software Foundation Europe."  What's happened?

> From bounce-debian-project=mjr=phonecoop.coop at lists.debian.org Tue Apr 24 06:41:23 2007
> Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2007 07:41:08 +0200
> From: "Torsten Werner" <twerner at debian.org>
> To: debian-project at lists.debian.org
> Subject: ballot period for ECMA 376 / DIS 29500 (aka OOXML)
>
> Hi,
>

> I want to remind you that the ballot period about Microsoft/ECMA
> office document format  runs until the beginning of September and
> national ISO bodies have to vote about the fasttrack process.
> Microsoft is very active in this process, free software people are not
> as far as I know, e.g. I did not get a response from the Free Software
> Foundation Europe. The risk of a successful standardization of OOXML
> is the marginalization of ODF (ISO 26300) which would make migrations
> from non-free software to free software more difficult in the long
> run.
>
> If you are interested in preventing that scenario please take action
> *now*. Contact your national ISO bodies and tell them your interests.
> In Germany you can become a member of DIN's working group. I can
> explain the details if someone is interested. Maybe that is possible
> in other countries, too.
>
> A good starting point for more information is
> http://www.groklaw.net/article.php?story=20070123071154671 .
>

> Cheers,
> Torsten
>
> --
> blog: http://twerner.blogspot.com/
> homepage: http://www.twerner42.de/
>

> --

Experienced webmaster-developers for hire http://www.ttllp.co.uk/
Also: statistician, sysadmin, online shop builder, workers co-op.