Not Any Browser (was: Kernel developers' position on GPLv3)

Alfred M. Szmidt ams at gnu.org
Fri Sep 29 01:37:36 UTC 2006

   >    > Also, could you use EBCDIC? It takes alot of processing
   >    > power to convert your very long message from ASCII to
   >    > EBDCDIC.
   >
   >    I don't use evil proprietary formats like EBCDIC.
   >
   > EBCDIC is not a propietary format.

   Though OT: A Google search finds quite a lot of pages that claim
   so.  Are they all wrong, or has it changed recently?

Do a search on `EBCDIC table' or something similar.

   >    (d) And even this one, in some forms, is not really free as
   >        MJR has reminded us. (According to RMS in
   >        http://www.ofb.biz/modules.php?name=News&file=print&sid=353,
   >        "To use Firefox as free software, you have to build it
   >        yourself from the source code."
   >
   > What he means is that the binaries as distributed by Mozilla are
   > not-free (they include a non-free bug reporting tool).  Ututo-e
   > for example contains a Firefox, you don't need to compile that
   > your self.

   Even assuming that build is really free (which would contradict
   RMS's statement, when read strictly, but I can't comment on it
   myself ATM);

I don't see why it would.  If you compile Firefox, then you can
distribute it, so then someone else won't need to compile it.

   since not everyone uses Utoto-e, it wouldn't change that, as I
   wrote, the requirement might have made some people use a not
   (entirely) free browser to view this site, instead of a fully free
   one they might have otherwise used.

One of the many reasons why GNUzilla and IceWeasel exists,
http://www.gnu.org/s/gnuzilla/.  That page also briefly explains the
other problems with Firefox (even if you compile it from source, it
can install non-free plugins).

Cheers