Not Any Browser (was: Kernel developers' position on GPLv3)

Alfred M. Szmidt ams at gnu.org
Thu Sep 28 11:58:19 UTC 2006

   > Also, could you use EBCDIC? It takes alot of processing power to
   > convert your very long message from ASCII to EBDCDIC.

   I don't use evil proprietary formats like EBCDIC.

EBCDIC is not a propietary format.

   (c) The situation is not even like in (b), because not all free
       browsers are supported, only a particular one.

You are free to modify the supported browser into something that fits
your needs, so that your favourite browser works with the commenting
process.  Would you like to do that?

   (d) And even this one, in some forms, is not really free as MJR has
       reminded us. (According to RMS in
       http://www.ofb.biz/modules.php?name=News&file=print&sid=353,
       "To use Firefox as free software, you have to build it yourself
       from the source code."

What he means is that the binaries as distributed by Mozilla are
not-free (they include a non-free bug reporting tool).  Ututo-e for
example contains a Firefox, you don't need to compile that your self.

Cheers