Problems with the GPL as I see them (was: Re: Kernel developers' position on GPLv3)

Stefano Maffulli stef at zoomata.com
Thu Sep 28 07:46:11 UTC 2006

Thank you Niall.  Some of your comments expose bits of words that
deserve being clarified.

On Wed, 2006-09-27 at 19:13 +0100, Niall Douglas wrote:
> No. I was waiting for draft 3 to see if they'd get fixed on their
> own. I'm not a fan of the GPL, everyone knows that, so I was doubting
> they'd take much notice.

But if you don't raise your voice and open issues *now* draft 3 *could*
(being highly hypothetical here, it's not likely to happen)  be declared
final and the process stopped because there are no open issues.  So
please submit these issues or at least check if others have already
mentioned them and click simply on 'I agree'.  It's a very simple step
that will help us all having a good license.  If nobody comments now, it
will be late when the license will be declared final.

It's not true that comments are ignored.  Just a simple example: the
problem with distribution of binaries via torretn in draft 1 was pointed
out not by Eben, nor RMS nor by anybody in the Committees but by the
public comment process.  Draft 2, point 6e (Conveying non-source using
peer-to-peer) addresses the issue.

thank you
stef