Kernel developers' position on GPLv3

Yavor Doganov yavor at doganov.org
Mon Sep 25 18:27:23 UTC 2006

I generally agree with the notion of your message, but describing Free
Software as a "good idea" is an extremely weak way to represent it.
That's not what we're fighting for.  A good idea is to customize your
Emacs, or not to get late for work if your boss is picky; the Free
Software Movement is much more than that.

If we fail to explain to the people (and that means mostly the
"users") that they're entitled to the essential freedoms, they would
never recognize them and would not attempt to protect them.  If we
allow them to accept that "it's better because of the open
collaborative development model" whey will hardly grasp the core point
and will probably not make the analogy with other grave bugs in our
society.  The Free Software Movement is just the beginning of the
revolution; if we turn it to a practical effort (as our friends from
the Open Source campaign have done), we will never achieve our true
goals.

Regarding the topic (the kernel developers' statement wrt GPLv3) I
just reread RMS' and Eben Moglen's transcripts of their speeches at
Barcelona and Bangalore -- they address all concerns that the Linux
developers speak about so perhaps it's much better to point the people
to those speeches.