Kernel developers' position on GPLv3

Yavor Doganov yavor at doganov.org
Sat Sep 23 12:47:15 UTC 2006

Alfred M. Szmidt wrote:

>      * It is a loss for everyone in the community.  The Linux kernel
>        won't be protected by the additional clauses in the new version
>        of the license.
>
> This implies that Linux can be relicensed, it cannot unless you get
> written permissions from anyone who has contributed a legally
> significant amount of code to Linux.

That's exactly what I meant.  If even one of them is not willing to
give her permission and the specific code cannot be removed, the Linux
kernel is stuck with GPLv2.

Or are you saying that there are some contributors that cannot be
found and they generally don't have a choice, so they're using such
"statements" as an excuse?