Kernel developers' position on GPLv3

Stephan Peijnik sp at fsfe.org
Fri Sep 22 19:02:22 UTC 2006

On Fri, Sep 22, 2006 at 07:55:07PM +0200, Stefano Spinucci wrote:
> The last sentence is:
> "Therefore, we implore the FSF to re-examine the consequences of its
> actions and to abandon the current GPLv3 process before it becomes too
> late."
>
> What do you think about it ???

Apart from that sentence I do fully agree with Alfred there. They do believe
in 'open source', a mere technical description of a development method. We
(at least I) do believe in Free Software, but Alfred already elaborated on that.

However, there is another sentence or better said paragraph that 'worries' me.
It says that assigning copyright to the FSF is mandatory when a project applies
for becoming part of GNU. That statement is plain wrong (see [0]).

Seeing a comment like that coming from the 'lead' kernel developers it shows
us once more that they probably have little knowledge of the workings of GNU,
the FSF and also Free Software and its related freedom we believe in.

Regards,

Stephan

[0] http://www.gnu.org/help/evaluation.html (Search for 'copyright')