A business model based on patents and open source.

David Picon Alvarez eleuteri at myrealbox.com
Fri Sep 15 18:01:52 UTC 2006

> On Groklaw there is a follow up to the article "International Characters'
> Business Model": "Larry Rosen Responds to Your Comments"
> http://www.groklaw.net/article.php?story=20060914192614297

Are you convinced by that response? If we apply the reasoning to the
orthogonal case of copyrights, then the GPL could call itself free and open
by permiting free use for r&d, non-commercial applications and use of the
code so long as it is either unmodified or modifications are shared, while
automatically demanding payment for use when private modifications are made
and not distributed. I would not call that GPL a copyleft, I'd call it a
landgrab.

--David.