[potentially OT] UN resolutions in opaque PDF format

Chris Lingard chris at stockwith.co.uk
Tue Oct 31 12:47:04 UTC 2006

On Tuesday 31 October 2006 11:54, David Picon Alvarez wrote:
> From: "Andreas K. Foerster" <list at AKFoerster.de>
>
> > I am not sure, whether I really understand, what your problem is.
> > But are you aware, that there are several good PDF-readers, which
> > actually are free software?
>
> Right, I know that. The problem is not so much with the documents being
> PDFs but with the fact they don't contain text, so the accessibility for
> blind people, conversion to text, etc, are impossible.

Yes, if a document is a saved pdf, you can cut and paste the text; but if
you scan in a document to make the pdf, it is difficult to reproduce the text

Here is a link that will convert pdf to text or html

http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/access_onlinetools.html

Otherwise, the pdf must be re-scanned, and a character recognition
program used to recover the text,  Court document have the same problem.

Here is another link that might help

http://docmorph.nlm.nih.gov/docmorph/default.htm

Chris Lingard