[potentially OT] UN resolutions in opaque PDF format

Andreas K. Foerster list at AKFoerster.de
Tue Oct 31 12:23:53 UTC 2006

Am Dienstag, dem 31. Okt 2006 schrieb David Picon Alvarez:

> Right, I know that. The problem is not so much with the documents being PDFs
> but with the fact they don't contain text, so the accessibility for blind
> people, conversion to text, etc, are impossible.

Okay, then I really misunderstood your intention in my first mail,
sorry.

> but maybe this isn't quite the place to raise the issue.

I think it is one of the right places to talk about it...

> I suspect they've just been scanned from paper resolutions.

I still have the theory, that there is some kind of digital watermark,
which should still be available, when printed out... So that experts
can vefify, that it is the original text.

But even then I agree with you, that they still also should make it
available in more accessible ways. Maybe they haven't thought about
it carefully yet.

> Sadly it's not just a matter of principle for me, since I'm a blind computer
> user, but maybe this isn't quite the place to raise the issue. I don't know
> to what extent writing to the UN's webmaster (or department, or whatever)
> would make any difference.

Maybe they really haven't thought about it yet. So it *could* make a
difference.

It would also be a good idea to convince other people to protest
also. So this list actually is the right place for it.

--
AKFoerster