[potentially OT] UN resolutions in opaque PDF format

David Picon Alvarez eleuteri at myrealbox.com
Tue Oct 31 11:54:41 UTC 2006

From: "Andreas K. Foerster" <list at AKFoerster.de>
> I am not sure, whether I really understand, what your problem is.
> But are you aware, that there are several good PDF-readers, which
> actually are free software?

Right, I know that. The problem is not so much with the documents being PDFs
but with the fact they don't contain text, so the accessibility for blind
people, conversion to text, etc, are impossible.

I suspect they've just been scanned from paper resolutions.

> And you can also create PDF files using ghostscript or pdfTeX or
> OpenOffice...

Right, and PDFs created with LaTeX and friends are generally accessible, but
not those from UN.

Sadly it's not just a matter of principle for me, since I'm a blind computer
user, but maybe this isn't quite the place to raise the issue. I don't know
to what extent writing to the UN's webmaster (or department, or whatever)
would make any difference.

--David.