Google Code Hosting

MJ Ray mjr at phonecoop.coop
Fri Oct 27 10:05:20 UTC 2006

Patrick Ohnewein <patrick.ohnewein at lugbz.org> wrote: [...]
> Disadvantage for the projects. A local server has not the visibility as
> sourceforge.

Maybe not, but one can still list on directory.fsf.org, freshmeat.net
and so on.  freshmeat is linked from every sourceforge page - it's a bit
disappointing that it doesn't offer a link from the search results page.

> The installation of gforge is not a simple task, we are now migrating to
> a new server and it is not just a matter of "apt-get install gforge"...

Are you keeping notes?  It would be interesting to read how it
progresses and may help the debian gforge packagers improve it.

> My tip, if it is possible, don't do it alone, it's a lot of work!

Aye, gforge gives you a lot, but does take some support.  I'd probably
host my project on simple http+smtp where possible and only then use one
of the existing hosting packages, unless I'd got some extra ambition
like the publicity for local development.

Best wishes,
Somerset, England. Work/Laborejo: http://www.ttllp.co.uk/
IRC/Jabber/SIP: on request/peteble