Google Code Hosting

MJ Ray mjr at phonecoop.coop
Fri Oct 27 08:11:54 UTC 2006

Simon Morris <simon.morris at cmtww.com> wrote:
> I am about to take over maintainership of a small project (just a hobby,
> won't be big and professional like gnu) ;-) and I'm wondering where is
> best to host it.

Best place?  Your own server and then get mirrors.  Several modern
version control systems can publish to a simple http server.

[...]
> Are these concerns still valid and what are peoples thoughts on hosting
> code with Googles new software project hosting service?

Google's hosting service seems to share Sourceforge's non-free code
problem, and Google has many other problems, locking people out, not
responding to bugs and generally polluting the network.  See
http://mjr.towers.org.uk/blog/2006/google for a rough list.  It doesn't
include much on the hosting yet, but I'd be surprised if old Googlebugs
like the registration pressure, accessibility failures and .coop bans
and so on aren't repeated.

Also, I'd avoid Savannah and GNA for now, unless you know you are happy
with their policies (such as required early adoption of FDL, or
HTTPS-only).  BerliOS.de and TuxFamily.org seem more relaxed, but that
does mean you have to check each licence - a problem for browsers more
than publishers, I guess.  If there's a debian angle, alioth.debian.org
is another option.

Hope that helps,
Somerset, England. Work/Laborejo: http://www.ttllp.co.uk/
IRC/Jabber/SIP: on request/peteble