licensing question for a C++ template library

Florian Weimer fw at deneb.enyo.de
Tue Oct 24 20:07:37 UTC 2006

* BenoƮt Jacob:

> I'm (co-)developing a C++ template library, Eigen:
> http://edu.kde.org/kalzium/eigen/index.php
>
> We're wondering which license to choose for it.

For template libraries, LGPL and GPL are almost equivalent because
it's impossible to fulfill the relinking requirement without
distributing full source code.  Therefore, the FSF adds special
exceptions to GPL-covered code instead.  See the C++ run-time library
and the GNAT run-time library for examples (Ada is quite similar to
C++, at least in GCC's implementation).