article on GPLv3, Linux kernel, and Devices Rigged to Malfunction

Ben Finney ben at benfinney.id.au
Tue Oct 24 11:55:14 UTC 2006

On 24-Oct-2006, Alex Hudson wrote:
> My concern in that respect isn't whether or not the GPLv3 can
> function effectively in that regard (although I'm not convinced it
> covers a particularly wide class of DRM measures); but that it seems
> more concerned with post-violation compliance, and I wonder if there
> will be fewer routes available to both authors and violators in the
> future. We've had a fairly peaceful situation so far where it's
> relatively easy to come into compliance; it would be best not to
> change that IMHO.

The terms of the GPL (any version) don't speak to "concern[...] with
post-violation compliance" or not. That's entirely up to the copyright
holder (or whoever is doing the enforcement).

--
 \     "Welchen Teil von 'Gestalt' verstehen Sie nicht?  [What part of |
  `\             'gestalt' don't you understand?]"  -- Karsten M. Self |