article on GPLv3, Linux kernel, and Devices Rigged to Malfunction

Rui Miguel Silva Seabra rms at 1407.org
Tue Oct 24 08:43:07 UTC 2006

Seg, 2006-10-23 às 15:08 +0100, Ciaran O'Riordan escreveu:
> Alex Hudson <home at alexhudson.com> writes:
> > The GPLv3
> > won't do anything about ensuring hardware support is there to download
> > new software,
>
> Yes.  The software can be put in a casing with no way for new software to be
> put in there, or it can be put in ROM, or it can be put behind a locked
> door.

ROMs are less and less used since it's more costly to replace a set of
products than updating some firmware. So that shouldn't be a big
concern.

Also, by definition, ROMs can't be changed, so it's a moot point.

DRM, however, is a logical rule that prevents changing the software
unless a certain condition happens: that it is signed, for instance.

So there is an intention to remove the freedom to study and adapt
software on machines that use DRM in such nefarious ways.

This is why I think DRM needs addressing, and I'm thankful the GPLv3
wishes to address that problem.

> > The authorisation code the GPL refers to is a shared secret key;
> > publicising that would make the entire reason of having it moot and
> > pointless,

Yes Alex. And that is a feature. What is wrong is that the USERS of said
hardware DO NOT CONTROL THE KEYS.

I have zero problems with locking software on _my_ machine with DRM.
I have everything against someone else locking me out of _my_ machine
with DRM.

While on copyright you don't own the content but the media it is held on
(a book, a CD, whatever), with objects you DO own the object you bought.

Tivo has NO RIGHT to do what they do by principle alone, and it is even
more of a shameless act to use it to effectively remove people's
freedoms.

I simply can't comprehend why people don't embrace all methods available
to destroy that business model.

It's as if drug dealers aren't a problem because you don't buy drugs.

Rui