article on GPLv3, Linux kernel, and Devices Rigged to Malfunction

Ciaran O'Riordan ciaran at fsfe.org
Fri Oct 20 19:08:58 UTC 2006

Yavor Doganov <yavor at doganov.org> writes:
> Great article, thank you.  But the comments are rather scary

I'm not too worried about the comments on the site.  Public opinion doesn't
change after one article, so we just have to keep explaining and
participating in the discussion.

There are good answers to most or all the negative comments there, but I had
my say in the article so I'll let others discuss it there for a while before
replying.

> Is there a way to effectively prevent Tivoization without the help of
> the Linux developers?

Option #2 is market pressure, which is a much more difficult.  Our job would
be much easier if our kernels were GPLv3'd, but as Alex explained, even
GPLv3'd kernels are not a magic bullet.  Rejecting DRM in the market is
something we should do anyway, and http://DRM.info is a starting point for
that.

--
CiarĂ¡n O'Riordan __________________ \ http://fsfeurope.org/projects/gplv3