article on GPLv3, Linux kernel, and Devices Rigged to Malfunction

Yavor Doganov yavor at doganov.org
Fri Oct 20 16:59:41 UTC 2006

Ciaran O'Riordan wrote:

> I wrote an editorial for kerneltrap.org [...]
> http://kerneltrap.org/node/7238

Great article, thank you.  But the comments are rather scary and are
making me very sad.  That's a lost battle, I'm afraid, it would be
easier to persuade a Christian to pray to Allah every morning.

Is there a way to effectively prevent Tivoization without the help of
the Linux developers?  What other software does a Tivo box use?  If
they use other components of GNU/Linux that will be relicensed under
GPLv3, this might be possible, I guess.
AFAIK, BusyBox is also under GPLv2 only.