LGPL and GPL (was: RMS, previously, on Sun freeing java)

Ben Finney ben at benfinney.id.au
Fri Nov 17 05:07:08 UTC 2006

On 17-Nov-2006, Wisely Koh wrote:
> >do you understand the LGPL can be changed to GPL at any time by
> >anyone?
>
> This is the first time I heard of this

It's an explicit grant in the LGPL, section 3 of that license.

    3. You may opt to apply the terms of the ordinary GNU General
    Public License instead of this License to a given copy of the
    Library. [...]

    <URL:http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/lesser.html>

> may I ask if the converse is true, ie. GPL -> LGPL?

The GPL gives no such explicit grant, so no.

--
 \     "[T]he question of whether machines can think [...] is about as |
  `\     relevant as the question of whether submarines can swim."  -- |