RMS, previously, on Sun freeing java

Ben Finney ben at benfinney.id.au
Thu Nov 16 21:30:16 UTC 2006

On 16-Nov-2006, simo wrote:
> On Thu, 2006-11-16 at 08:49 +0100, Alfred M. Szmidt wrote:
> >    Yes, but they released a copy of (most of) Star Office under
> >    the GPL, with the new name "OpenOffice.org".
> >
> > LGPL, not GPL.
>
> Alfred,
> do you understand the LGPL can be changed to GPL at any time by
> anyone? And why the f**k matters anyway?

It does matter, because LGPL is a less-strong copyleft than the GPL.
If it didn't matter, the FSF wouldn't have made two separate licenses.

> And give us a break! Your postings just irritate people and are
> deterring people from participation.

I saw nothing in Alfred's post but a polite, factual correction on a
point that should be of interest to most readers of this list. I
certainly don't find such posts irritating (so long as they only go to
the list, of course).

--
 \       "I believe in making the world safe for our children, but not |
  `\    our children's children, because I don't think children should |