RMS, previously, on Sun freeing java

Alex Hudson home at alexhudson.com
Tue Nov 14 15:10:25 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-11-14 at 15:34 +0100, Xavi Drudis Ferran wrote:
> Ops. I thought class libraries were available :(.

No. To be clear, it's "just":

      * the javac compiler (which we already have a free equivalent
        for);
      * the HotSpot virtual machine (which there are poorer equivalents
        for);
      * the help/documentation system

Even those few things are a lot of code, though.

In terms of the class libraries, what I read on the blogosphere was that
the majority of the library would be free, and the rest would be filled
in either by GNU Classpath, or new code yet to be written.

I think the headline is that the class libraries will be free in the
future, since they were really the "Java trap", but the release of
HotSpot is also very important.

Cheers,

Alex.

PS list, I would have thought the drop of OpenOffice.org made Sun far
and away the biggest contributor of code years ago. Have you seen how
big that thing is?! :o>