Adobe make Flash scripting Free Software with Mozilla Foundation

Alex Hudson home at alexhudson.com
Tue Nov 7 09:33:42 UTC 2006

I'm not sure if people will have seen this with all the other noise
about Novell etc.:

	http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/press/mozilla-2006-11-07.html
	http://www.mozilla.org/projects/tamarin/faq.html

The scripting engine of Flash (which, from what I've been told, is very
much like Javascript anyway) has been donated to Mozilla, and will be
part of their future JS implementation (I gather).

In other Adobe news, people may have seen that they're building on other
free software like WebKit:

	http://labs.adobe.com/wiki/index.php/Apollo

	(RIA's == "Rich Internet Applications", FYI)

.. and Microsoft's XML Paper Specification seems to have scared them
into doing:

	http://labs.adobe.com/wiki/index.php/Mars

While Adobe haven't been terribly free software friendly in many ways in
the past, it does seem like now is an opportune time to talk to them:
they may be becoming more receptive to the needs of the free software
community.

Cheers,

Alex.