Website accessibility (was: [potentially OT] UN resolutions in opaque PDF format)

Ben Finney ben at benfinney.id.au
Wed Nov 1 22:30:04 UTC 2006

On 01-Nov-2006, MJ Ray wrote:
> Unless your disability is something they judge "real" or you are
> willing and able to persecute them for it, most webmasters and
> software developers seem not to care, as long as it works for them
> with their abilities on their configuration of their browser.

This is because the webmaster typically has no incentive to fix the
problem. They've got acceptance tests that have no input from you.
(That, in itself, is a big part of the problem, but it means you'll
get no traction until that changes.)

You should be making your case to the person who has an incentive for
such people to visit their site; typically the person who paid for it
to be created. Convince them that they can gain by a better site
design.

The webmaster isn't going to make that case for you, even though they
should. Or, they might *already* have made that case, but the website
customer just compared prices because there wasn't a clear negative
consequence of the inaccesible option.

--
 \          "I used to be an airline pilot. I got fired because I kept |
  `\       locking the keys in the plane. They caught me on an 80 foot |