[potentially OT] UN resolutions in opaque PDF format

Sam Liddicott sam at liddicott.com
Wed Nov 1 18:35:05 UTC 2006

I was counting the seconds... and then...

Alfred M. Szmidt wrote:
>    On a related note: GNU Mailman *still* doesn't set colours properly
>    on its web interface, last I saw - no, it wasn't the Mailman
>    maintainer who quoted Rand and yes, I have reported this bug and
>    offered to help fix it.
>    http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1054944&group_id=103&atid=100103
>    was more than 2 years ago now.
>
> How about instead of whining, as you so often do, follow up on the
> bug?
How about realising that "and offered to help fix it" is following up on
the bug.
>   This would do more good than bitching on a mailing list that the
> maintainers do not read.

Now I am shocked. I question the sincerity of the maintainers, and
wonder if they are the dedicated sort of GNU activists we ought to allow
to work on such prestigious and essential systems. Perhaps a purge is
needed. Or an inquisition.
>    That's not uncommon: accessibility isn't usually taken seriously,
>    even in GNU.  :-(
>
> Oh helvetica, it is taken seriously in the GNU project.  Maybe if you
> properly followed up on the bugs it would be fixed sooner, the only
> person that can be blamed is you, nobody else.

Perhaps that's true. Perhaps.

Now lets consider the other question. Why it is hard to feel bothered
about such things, to keep following up, to continue constructive
discussionl when all that can be expected other than silence is rude
retorts, for which only the speakers can be blamed, nobody else.

If only we could track down these people whose negative attitude is so
destructive to co-operative attitude, whose attitude made me want to
sever my FSF connections for fear of being mistaken for one of them...

if only..

Sam