SourceForge alternatives?

Niall Douglas s_fsfeurope3 at nedprod.com
Wed Mar 22 16:49:42 UTC 2006

On 16 Mar 2006 at 13:03, Andreas K. Foerster wrote:

> I read recently an article against use of SourceForge:
> http://www.fsfeurope.org/news/article2001-10-20-01.en.html
>
> Now, I search for a service like this. Savannah doesn't seem to fit my
> needs. What about BerliOS?
>
> I consider using it mostly because they seem to offer access for own
> cgi programs and because they are located in germany, where I live.
> Are there any objections against BerliOS?

There's no reason you can't use multiple services simultaneously. I
use sourceforge for distributing my file releases and running the
mailing lists. I run SVN off BerliOS mainly because they offerred SVN
when I wanted it. Also, BerliOS gives you more access to the
internals so you can copy stuff out.

Sourceforge has excellent file distribution resources with loads of
mirrors. Nothing else can touch them. But other services have
advantages for other things. I personally have on the sourceforge
mailing lists a special member which copies all posts to usenet and
mailing list archives. That way they are searchable by google and
there is a back up in case sourceforge ever goes down.

You know you can query Mailmain to return a list of all list members?
Handy for backups or switching providers.

Cheers,
Niall