Free Toaster (was: Defining Free Software Business)

Alfred M. Szmidt ams at gnu.org
Tue Jun 27 17:51:22 UTC 2006

   --===============0619003889==

   --=-c4VdDIWnTI90Yfi65Tuf

   Am Dienstag, den 27.06.2006, 18:30 +0200 schrieb Alfred M. Szmidt:
   > If you cannot excersise your freedoms due to a technical `restriction'
   > (e.g. ROM soldered to the PCB), then what is the point of having
   > partial freedom?

   That's exactly the point. If I can't have "full freedom" for technical
   reasons (and I assume the restriction was done for technical reasons,
   and not to deliberately take away my freedom), then I want to have at
   least as much freedom as possible. Partial freedom, IMHO, is still
   better than no freedom at all.

Well, how is your freedom to study the toaster restricted?

   I could of course refuse to buy any toaster with proprietary software in
   it. But as soon as you replace "toaster" by "washing machine", I would
   get in serious fights with my wife ;-)

:-)