[yavor at doganov.org: Re: Defining Free Software Business]

Ricardo Gladwell president at freeroleplay.org
Tue Jun 27 16:10:39 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-06-27 at 17:51 +0200, Alfred M. Szmidt wrote:
> It is called a `needed evil'.  When RMS wrote emacs and GCC, NO free
> software operating system existed.  It was impossible to _not_ use
> non-free software.  Today it is possible to use 100% software.  So
> there is no reason to use non-free software at all.

Yet, there still exists proprietary software for which there are no free
software equivalents, otherwise Debian non-free would not exist. This
software may not be necessary to you, but it may be a necessary evil for
others.

To use the prison metaphor, we have not yet fully escaped from the
prison. Does this mean we can still use the prison's facilities to
further escape?

--
Ricardo Gladwell
President, Free RPG Community