[yavor at doganov.org: Re: Defining Free Software Business]

Sam Liddicott sam at liddicott.com
Tue Jun 27 16:41:58 UTC 2006

Alfred M. Szmidt wrote:
>    It has been repeated often enough here that in many lines of
>    business it is NOT possible to transfer instantly to use 100% free
>    software and that it is not even a neccessary evil, but a noble
>    good, to aid the transition by means of compatability tools AS WELL
>    AS WRITING NEW SOFTWARE.
>
> There is a difference between making a transition, and recommending
> the use of non-free software.  One is not related to the other.

Sometimes it takes a piece of non-free software to assist the transition
as RMS has testified in the past, and you have also stated in this list.
>    I'm saying that just because RMS has solved HIS problems, doesn't
>    mean everyone else has YET.
>
> And by recommending, supporting, and developing non-free software one
> doesn't solve `everyones' problem.

But I don't think you have claimed that GBN is only for those who solve
"everyones" problems.
But you have suggested that it should not be for people who solve some
peoples problems by promoting certain uses of non-free software to aid a
transition and it is this that I disagree with.
> You are confusing to issues, supporting and recommending non-free
> software, and making a transitition from non-free software.
I am not; in many cases the first activity aids the latter.
> In the
> later you do need to even mention the non-free program, you can simply
> say that you do not provide such a solution, or that you are working
> on making a free solution.

Which is just a different way of saying that those who do not simply
state that (because it isn;t true) should not be part of GBN, but this
is what we debate.

I think those that use and promote use of non-free software to aid the
migration to free software would be legitimate members of a USEFUL GBN.

I know you disagree so we don't need to repeat that; I just don't see
why you think the GBN should not even LIST companies that are going for
other fields what RMS has already done in his own field, or that are
HELPING those who are doing in their field what RMS did in his own field.

Sam