Defining Free Software Business

MJ Ray mjr at phonecoop.coop
Tue Jun 27 16:32:02 UTC 2006

"Alfred M. Szmidt" <ams at gnu.org>
> Debian has made the for 10 years or more now, and still not fixed
> them.  They are not errors anymore, but simply lack of caring for user
> freedoms.

The debian project has been fixing the errors in debian, but
I'm sure it will continue to make errors.  It's not a lack of
care for user freedoms.  We could make a young debian-based
distribution and maybe FSF would recommend it - just as it has
some debian-based distributions made by some debian developers.

> >  FSFphile seemed a convenient inoffensive shorthand for me.
>
> Then you won't mind me tell you to stop taking whatever drugs your
> doctor subscribed.

I do mind it.  I've asked you to stop telling me to harm myself.
I never called you an FSFphile and I don't think the term offensive,
but I respect your wishes and will try not to call you it.

> >  So, roughly equivalent to Debian's main archive.  There are other
> >  "Fedora foo" archives containing other things.
>
> Can you point me to these `other archives'?

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Projects/WeeklyReports/ lists some.
http://www.fedorafaq.org/ (linked from www.fedoraproject.org)
gives instructions on access to others.

> FDL covered are not software, so it cannot be `non-free software', nor
> can it be `free software', since it isn't `software' to begin with.

We disagree on the reasons, but agree on the conclusion.

> >  I don't think utoto or dyne:bolic are major distributions yet and I
> >  didn't find a commitment by any of them as strong as debian's.  No
> >  talk of the future and no commitment to Hurd.  Debian has both.
>
> Debian still recommends, condones, and supports non-free software.

Debian packages 'must not declare a "Depends", "Recommends",
or "Build-Depends" relationship on a non-main package'.
(debian-policy s2.2.1)

Of course debian supports non-free software.  GNU supports
non-free software, although I expect the GNU project tells
you not to use it.  Can a product condone something?

> Doesn't make it any better.  Debian GNU/Hurd like Debian GNU/Linux are
> equally bad in this regard, since both contain non-free software.

Sorry, that's incorrect.  Get yourself a CD of the official
release and try to find any.
--
MJR/slef
Laux nur mia opinio: vidu http://people.debian.org/~mjr/