Defining Free Software Business

Alfred M. Szmidt ams at gnu.org
Tue Jun 27 09:19:47 UTC 2006

   non-free and contrib are not part of Debian.  Any packages in
   Debian which depend or recommend non-free are seriously buggy and
   will be fixed or removed.

Debian distributes non-free and contrib.  They are part of Debian.  If
Debian fixes programs that recommend or recommend non-free software
then Debian should take action to removing non-free and contrib.
Debian has not done so, so Debian still recommends and supports
non-free software.

   > Before you start calling me a liar, I suggest you stop taking
   > whatever drugs your doctor subscribed you.

   How about I don't BECAUSE THEN I WOULD PROBABLY DIE SOONER.  None
   of my drugs are mindbenders.  Are yours?  Seems like it!  I am
   really disappointed that anyone on this list was insane enough to
   write that. It is this "you disagree, so go harm yourself" style of
   argument that gives FSF fans a bad name.

Look, it is you who resorted to calling me a liar, a FSFphile, and
what not, if you can't handle a polite comment about taking drugs,
then you seriously do need to stop taking whatever drugs your doctor
subscribed to you.  Yelling, being childish, calling people names sure
don't help to make your point.

   1. apt-cache show krusader clamav file-roller amavisd-new | grep -E
      'Package|Version|Depends|Recommends'

>From /var/lib/dpkg/avaiable:

Package: krusader
Suggests: kedit, konsole, kmail, krename, xxdiff, kdiff3, arj, bzip2, cpio, gzip, lha, rar, rpm, unace, unarj, unrar, unzip, zip, kdebase-kio-plugins

Package: clamav
Section: utils
Installed-Size: 208
Maintainer: Stephen Gran <sgran at debian.org>
Architecture: i386
Version: 0.88.2-1
Depends: libc6 (>= 2.3.6-6), libclamav1 (>= 0.88.2), zlib1g (>= 1:1.2.1), clamav-freshclam | clamav-data
Recommends: arj, unzoo
Suggests: unrar (>= 3.0-1), lha, clamav-docs

Package: file-roller
Recommends: sharutils, lzop, rpm, arj, p7zip, mkisofs
Suggests: lha, unrar

Package: amavisd-new
Suggests: spamassassin (>= 3.1.0a), clamav, clamav-daemon, lha, arj, unrar, zoo, nomarch, cpio, lzop, cabextract, apt-listchanges (>= 2.35), libnet-ldap-perl (>= 1:0.32), libauthen-sasl-perl, libdbi-perl (>= 1.43)