Defining Free Software Business( was Re: GNU Business Network Definition comments)

Stefano Maffulli stef at zoomata.com
Tue Jun 20 07:40:24 UTC 2006

On Sun, 2006-06-18 at 12:05 +0100, Shane M. Coughlan wrote:

> Example: A standard member might be able to say that they are a
> 'member'of the GNU Business Network[...]

Before we jump in defining the GBN (that, as Georg stated, is not a
priority for FSFE) I think we all need to take a step back and define
clearly what makes a 'Free Software Business'.  This morning I read
yet-another-request on 451 Caos Theory:
http://blogs.the451group.com/opensource/2006/06/19/what-is-an-open-source-company/

On Tue, 2006-06-13 at 10:40 +1000, Ben Finney wrote:
> What we *can* do is define criteria that a business needs to meet to
> be called a "free software business".

So, what are these criteria?  How about the definitions suggested here:
http://fsfe.org/en/fellows/maffulli/rants/defining_free_software_business

I like to reason around 'ethics' and have suggested the following:

   A company that daily accepts its social responsibility towards
   reaching freedom in the digital age, respecting the ideals
   contained in the GNU Manifesto.

but honestly I don't think it is fit, because it refers to the GNU
Manifesto, that is too long and difficult to understand.  Can we make a
better version?

thanks
stef