GNU Business Network Definition comments

Ben Finney ben at benfinney.id.au
Tue Jun 13 00:40:33 UTC 2006

On 12-Jun-2006, Stefano Maffulli wrote:
> On Mon, 2006-06-12 at 18:54 +1000, Ben Finney wrote:
> > Their business involves restricting the freedom of their customers
> > with proprietary licenses. What's the question here?
>
> The question is that it is not banal to tell a bizman to completely
> change his business model, that's it.

I don't think making a definition is telling anyone to do anything.

> Shane was saying:
>
>         If we have confidence in our model - and if our model is truly
>         better
>
> and I just pointed out that so far there is not enough evidence that
> free software business models can solve all problems.  Remember that
> the Free Sw Community is a recognized expert of Free Sw, not of
> Business, therefore simple answers like 'Redhat is profitable' is
> not acceptable.

That's right. It's hard work making a business model, and requires
particular expertise that is not clearly related to expertise in free
software. I don't see anyone recommending that we come up with
business models for anyone. I don't think that would be a good use of
our skills.

What we *can* do is define criteria that a business needs to meet to
be called a "free software business". That's not telling anyone what
to do -- but it is telling the world what standards we expect.

--
 \       "Pity the meek, for they shall inherit the earth."  -- Donald |
  `\                                              Robert Perry Marquis |