GNU Business Network Definition comments

Stefano Maffulli stef at zoomata.com
Mon Jun 12 09:48:54 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-06-12 at 18:54 +1000, Ben Finney wrote:
> Their business involves restricting the freedom of their customers
> with proprietary licenses. What's the question here?

The question is that it is not banal to tell a bizman to completely
change his business model, that's it.  Shane was saying:

        If we have confidence in our model - and if our model is truly
        better

and I just pointed out that so far there is not enough evidence that
free software business models can solve all problems.  Remember that the
Free Sw Community is a recognized expert of Free Sw, not of Business,
therefore simple answers like 'Redhat is profitable' is not acceptable.

> What goal are you assuming here? My understanding is that the goal of
> the GNU Business Network is to allow third parties to easily identify
> free software businesses, according to a particular definition.

The goals of GBN are not set, AFAIK, therefore I am trying to avoid
talking about it.  Set it aside and concentrate on defining what a Free
Sw Business is.  Once we have a definition then we will see who fits in
it and what we can do with them.

regards
stef