GNU Business Network Definition comments

Ben Finney ben at benfinney.id.au
Mon Jun 12 08:54:54 UTC 2006

On 12-Jun-2006, Stefano Maffulli wrote:
> On Thu, 2006-06-08 at 15:19 +0100, Shane M. Coughlan wrote:
> > If we have confidence in our model
>
> Do we have such confidence to sell it to a 45 years old bizman that
> feeds 5/10 programmers selling proprietary licenses?

Their business involves restricting the freedom of their customers
with proprietary licenses. What's the question here?

> Even if he barely makes the end of the month,

I don't see how the failure of a particular business model to make a
profit is of concern for a definition revolving around software
freedom.

> I think we still don't have enough arguments to draw exclusive
> circles like the GBN and we need to come up with something that is
> inclusive instead.

What goal are you assuming here? My understanding is that the goal of
the GNU Business Network is to allow third parties to easily identify
free software businesses, according to a particular definition.

Indeed, a strict definition is even *more* helpful: the business can
easily tell whether or not they meet the definition, and what actions
would make the difference.

It's completely up to the particular business whether they meet that
definition. If they think it's worth the benefits, they have it within
their own power to be included.

--
 \          "I like to skate on the other side of the ice."  -- Steven |
  `\                                                            Wright |