summary of Re: Beyond 'open standard'

Yavor Doganov yavor at doganov.org
Sat Jul 22 20:23:44 UTC 2006

At Fri, 21 Jul 2006 20:18:08 +0200,
Patrick Ohnewein wrote:

> I am asking myself if the term "Open Standard" would be fine for us.
> [...]
> My question is: Is "Open Standard" an acceptable term for the Free
> Software community and can we create our definition under the label
> "Open Standard"?

To be honest, until this discussion I always thought that "Open
Standard" = "Free Standard".  I just used "free" because "open" is at
least ambiguous, needless to mention the association with "Open
Source".

To answer your question: I think that nowadays, when the Free Software
Movement is constantly threatened to be buried by the "Open Source
Campaign", it is our duty to point out the differences and establish a
new term.  I think that the new term should be called "free standard",
because namely freedom is what distinguishes it from the already
spread out term "open standard".

--
In the GNU Project, discrimination against proprietary software is not
just a policy -- it's the principle and the purpose.  Proprietary