summary of Re: Beyond 'open standard'

MJ Ray mjr at phonecoop.coop
Thu Jul 20 07:43:01 UTC 2006

Jeroen Dekkers <jeroen at vrijschrift.org> claimed:
> An Open Standard isn't an oxymoron IHMO. You've got proprietary
> standards like MP3 and de facto standards like MS Word.

"De facto standards" are often not standardised in any meaningful
way, so that phrase is an absurdity.  Just look at all the small
variations in so-called-standard Microsoft Word files.

> [...] http://www.ososs.nl/index.jsp?alias=watisos [...]
> I think using this definition is the way to go: nobody is against Open
> Standards, the only thing you've convince people of is that a standard
> isn't open when patents aren't licensed royalt-free.

It may be beneficial to support someone else's definition, too.

Regards,
--
MJ Ray - personal email, see http://mjr.towers.org.uk/email.html
Work: http://www.ttllp.co.uk/  irc.oftc.net/slef  Jabber/SIP ask