summary of Re: Beyond 'open standard'

Sean DALY sean.daly at wanadoo.fr
Wed Jul 19 20:14:02 UTC 2006

The term "Open Standard" already has a generally accepted meaning: it's a standard that not's proprietary. But again, taking the MPEG standards as an example, they are quite open ISO standards; 14 years after its adoption, MPEG-1 (ISO/IEC 11172) remains the only audiovisual standard well implemented in every software media player. There is no mystery from the technical standpoint. However, licensing the patent pool for an MPEG standard is another story altogether...

How about "Free and fair standard", which echoes "Free and fair elections"? I fear that "Fair standard" by itself could be easily twisted: "License our IP on fair terms" could well be a message concerning... a proprietary standard.

I think it's a worthy and achievable goal to end patent licensing on other than Free terms; in this vein, "Patent-free standard" may be an effective label. When companies learn how to recoup R&D spend other than by patent licensing, the larger part of the battle will be won I think.

Sean