Beyond 'open standard'

Stefano Maffulli stef at zoomata.com
Wed Jul 19 08:02:49 UTC 2006

Hello all,

I am dealing with a paper about standards and Free Software and I've
found out that the term 'open standard' is a very common term in
literature (and commercial advertising).  According to most of the
definitions I found, an 'open standard' can be patented and, at best,
subject to RAND licensing policies.  This translate into 'open standard
_can_ be impossible to implement in Free Software'.

Now, since I am summarizing in this paper what defines a standard that
is implementable in Free Software, it would be nice to propose also a
term that is non controversial like 'open standard'.

Free standard is not good: I don't think it's savvy to replicate the
fight between 'open' and 'free'.  A friend whispered 'non discriminatory
standard' but he agrees that the negation at the beginning is less than
optimal.  I couldn't think of any more solutions, so I ask here two
questions:

1) does it make sense to introduce in the Free Software community a new
term that is non-controversial and more precise than the generic 'open
standard'?

2) if yes, what would that term be?

Any suggestion appreciated.
bye